Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another Jesus?

Hello Art Lovers! I hope you are well. Well.. I painted Jesus, again. I know.. not another Jesus painting... so over done. Ah, but I never get enough of Jesus! If He was all I ever tried to capture in a creative way, I would be happy. Michael Angelo move over. I'm captivated by this painting. For one thing its primitive. I like primitive art. Another thing is its on tortured paper, like my troubled dad did in the 50s. The Acrylics skipped over the crumpled texture and added a dimension that I love. Third thing is the nail frame. My husband helped me make it. We demolished our old picnic table so its real weathered wood. Then there are the red nails. Why red you say...Duh..turns out I'm one nail short of the 39 lashes Jesus endured before the cross. I think I know just where to hammer it in. I have to admit that this frame housed a previous Jesus I painted in 2000. One even more primitive than this one. As I grow in my faith my Jesus grows bigger in my vision. One day I'll see His face! Never again will I try to create a perfect human example because I don't think any human can capture Him... it has always been the other way around. I will always try and reflect my God given talent and hopefully my heart. Here it is hanging on the back of my house: peace...





















Primitive Reflection of Perfection
Acrylic on paper and board

31.5"x37"

5 comments:

  1. Mary-

    I love this! Very graphic-y and cool. Also I love how his hand is an almost-peace sign or a blessing. And the nails are a nice touch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - I added a link to your blog on my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool - now I may have to proof my stuff better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing, Mary. I love this piece! Just the inspiration I needed this morning. I was meant to see it. Luv ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks JC. Did you see my African Angel?

    ReplyDelete