Sunday, March 14, 2010

African Angel

Hi art lovers! You'll have to read my last post to understand this one...

Here she is!  I'm happy with this painting, however, I never did pick up a brush on my night alone. I sat on my couch and watched a movie instead. I couldn't bring myself to start the painting. I was real bummed out at mo.

It was getting dark to fast, the lighting in my studio wasn't right, my old oils were hard as rocks. Not that a little linseed oil and mineral spirits couldn't loosen them up but it was just enough for me to give up.

I also never posted my last blog. I just did... if anyone cares to read about my continued frustrations in being a older mother, a full time business owner and artist who doesn't have time to paint. As a matter of fact I started this blog thing to post a painting-a-day, thinking it would be a great discipline for me and I would improve my art. Ha! So, guess I should instead call it a painting-one-day! : )

African Angel was a blast to paint once I got started. I stalled for hours then knocked it out in 1 1/2 days, about 8 hours.  I wanted to be loose with my brush strokes so the art wouldn't be tight. Thanks to Carol Marine who I watched do a demo at the Wimberley Valley Art League last week, I was able to suck it up and move on to paint it. She encouraged me and I went for it. Hope you like it too.

2 comments:

  1. M,

    GORGEOUS! Congratulations on gettin' off yer tukus and gettin' in the studio to get 'er done! It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, she's wonderful! I love that you've gotten into your oils again. Your love of that medium shows in the way you captured the joy in her face. It's like it flowed out of you, into the painting and reflected out from her face. She's beautiful! you did an awesome job, Mary. I love it.

    ReplyDelete